Chocolate feathers! Great video tutorial on making white chocolate feathers. This video comes by way of ‘How to Cook That’ by Ann Reardon. Decorate cakes or dessert platters with the finished feathers.
Steps to Make the Chocolate Feathers
- Lay a silicone sheet on your work surface, and top that with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Temper your white chocolate. Place it in a disposable piping bag.
- Pipe thick lines on the parchment paper, following the basic shape of your feather – looking at a finished feather is helpful to ensure it bends or arcs naturally, or has a natural shape.
- Place another sheet of parchment over the top, and press down with your fingers to make the chocolate flat and even. Peel off as soon as you are done pressing, don’t wait for it to harden. Save the top layer for more feathers later (see step 7).
- Begin shaping the feather by cutting away parts you want out and creating the feathered edges using a wooden skewer.
- Finish the feather by piping the final line down the middle, offsetting slightly.
- The top sheet you peeled off will have hardened by now. Using a skewer and a small knife, away parts you don’t want and scratch the surface as you did in step five to create detailing on the feather. Pipe the center line when you are done.
- Finish the feather by coloring it. Use oil based colors, powdered colors, or luster dust to color.